Cedar Hills Regional Landfill community meetings
Background and purpose
As the operator of the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill, the King County Solid Waste Division is committed to ongoing communication with residents living in neighborhoods surrounding the landfill. Since March 1986, area residents and Solid Waste Division staff have met to discuss conditions and activities at the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill in meetings called the “Cedar Hills Citizens Review Committee.” Those meetings occurred with varying regularity and attendance, and after ten years of functioning under the original format, the members revised their purpose, goals and activities. Broadening public awareness of landfill activities and community concerns was a key objective.
Meetings between Solid Waste Division staff and landfill area neighbors continue under a new format and name, Cedar Hills Regional Landfill Community Meetings. These changes are intended to increase public awareness about landfill activities and improve the predictability and efficiency of our ongoing communication.
Community meeting elements
- Meeting format
Meetings are facilitated and include updates and presentations by King County Solid Waste Division staff and other invited presenters, and ample time for questions and comments.
- Standing agenda items to include
- Landfill operational, construction and environmental monitoring activities
- Landfill gas-to-energy facility updates by Bio Energy Washington
- Question and answer period
- Additional items to be added as needed
- Meeting duration and frequency
Two-hour meetings will be held at least twice a year (April and October); and more often as necessary.
- Landfill tours
An annual landfill tour will be organized and provided to area residents each year in late summer or early fall. Individuals or groups can also request a tour at any time.
- Meeting location
Unless otherwise noted, meetings will occur at the King County Library System Service Center, 960 Newport Way NW, Issaquah, WA 98027 (external map)
- Public notification of meetings
The following resources will be used to notify the community of these community meetings:
- Mailing to landfill area residents
- Notice on the King County Solid Waste Division website
- Emails to area residents that have provided their email addresses. Please use our online comment form to get on our email notification list
- Notice in area newspapers
- Meeting notes
Notes will be taken at every meeting and posted on the King County Solid Waste Division’s website.
Cedar Hills Regional Landfill community meeting documents
Please use the online comment form or call the Solid Waste Division at 206-263-1000 to let us know of any topics you want covered at future community meetings.
Note: Accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided when requested at least one week in advance of the meeting. Please call 206-263-1000; TTY Relay: 711.
- Oct. 22, 2014 meeting notes (PDF, 180 K)
- April 23, 2014 meeting notes (PDF, 340 K)
- Oct. 24, 2013 meeting notes (PDF, 370 K)
- April 24, 2013 meeting notes (PDF, 120 K)
- Oct. 24, 2012 meeting notes (PDF, 180 K)
- April 25, 2012 meeting notes (PDF, 160 K)
- Oct. 25, 2011 meeting notes (PDF, 120 K)
- April 6, 2011 meeting notes (PDF, 200 K)
- Sept. 1, 2010 meeting notes (PDF, 340 K)
- West Side Landfill Gas Recovery Well Installation and Influence Testing Report (PDF, 7.2 MB)
- Detailed Perimeter Noise Study at Cedar Hills Regional Landfill, December 2012 (PDF, 40 MB)
(Note: this is a very large file and may take several minutes to download, depending on connection speed)
This report presents the results from the noise study conducted in September/October 2012. Since then, additional noise mitigation measures at the North Flare Station, including wrapping of piping and blowers, have been implemented.
- Preliminary Survey of Noise Levels in the Vicinity of Cedar Hills Regional Landfill, March 2011 (PDF, 891 K)
- Cedar Hills Regional Landfill – annual report & environmental monitoring reports
- Cedar Hills Regional Landfill 2010 Site Development Plan - Project Program Plan (PDF, 1.4 MB)
This plan summarizes the preferred alternative (Alternative 2) for future development of the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill. This plan was unanimously approved by the King County Council in December 2010.
top of page