Hazardous Waste School Program
Teachers test out lesson materials at a Hazards on the Homefront teacher workshop.
Through the Household Hazardous Waste School Program, teachers of grades 4 to12 can attend a training workshop and learn how to incorporate lessons on household hazardous waste into school subjects. Workshop participants receive the Hazards on the Homefront Teacher's Guide and can request follow-up assistance in the form of classroom presentations, project assistance and mini-grants.
See the brochure for the next Hazards on the Homefront (PDF, 345 K) teacher workshop.
Read Kids and the Environment: Hidden Hazards in Household Products (external link), on the Parent Map website.
Watch videos that demonstrate how to teach lessons from the Hazards on the Homefront teacher guide for grades 4-6.
Use these presentations to guide or supplement your classroom lessons on household hazardous waste:
Download these helpful teaching aids:
- 7 Steps To A Healthier Classroom (PDF, 139 K)
This flyer lists simple steps to reduce allergens and toxins in the classroom.
- Adaptations for English Language Learners
- Bioaccumulation Cards (PDF, 1.18 MB)
Use these cards to play the bioaccumulation game described in Lesson 3 of the Hazards on the Homefront guide for grades 6-12. Download a copy of Lesson 3 (external).
- Consumer Choice – Pest Investigation for Secondary Students (PDF, 397 K)
In this Hazards on the Homefront Lesson 6 Extension, students learn about integrated pest management and solve a common pest problem.
- Could This Be Your Favorite Lake? (PDF, 6 MB)
Find facts and actions about keeping waterways healthy.
- Do You Want the Best Makeover Ever? (PDF, 340 K)
Find facts and actions about personal care products.
- Green Cleaning Project Guide (PDF, 420 K)
This guide provides activities and projects that increase students’ awareness of safer alternatives to household hazardous cleaning products.
- Love Your Mother? (PDF, 207 K)
Find facts and actions to keep Mother Earth safe.
- Make Sure You Protect Your Pet (PDF, 151 K)
Find facts and actions to keep your pet safe from toxins.
- Pesticide Alternatives Worksheet (PDF, 35 K)
This worksheet helps your students identify important information on pesticide product labels and consider safer alternatives to pest and weed problems in the garden.
- Toxic-Free Bingo cards (PDF, 1.5 MB) and Bingo key (PDF, 115 K)
Use these Toxic-Free Bingo cards and Bingo key from Lesson 5 of the Hazards on the Homefront teacher guide to help your students learn safer alternatives to household hazardous products.
top of page